15 May 2006

They say that admitting you have a problem is

half the battle. Once I did my post on being afraid and picking out a race to do things have been going well. Saturday I biked - god I love biking. Sunday I ran. Today was swimming and running. Wow, I feel great.

So today's plan called for 30 minute swim and 35 minute run. All night last night I'm trying to figure out how to do this. Theoretically the pool doesn't open till 6:30a.m. I could run first then swim but I really wanted to swim first then run (don't ask me why, I don't know. That's what the schedule said!!). So I kept telling myself I could blow the run off, just do this swim. In my mental gymnastics I didn't get anything ready.

The alarm goes off this morning and I decide I'm going to swim then run. I have nothing ready so had to race around the house like an idiot getting all my gear (which I haven't used in like 2 months) ready. I got to the pool at 6:10 and people were already swimming - sweet!!!

By 6:15 I was in the pool. Out at 6:45 and by 6:50 on my run. Now I'm at the Y so I could have used the treadmills but it was such a glorious morning I decided to run through the neighborhood. It was awesome.

Okay, so the pool ended up like this;
100 meters: 2:32, 2:41, 2:44, 2:56, 2:58, 3:08, 2:58, 2:43, 3:04, 3:02.
Since I haven't been in the pool in almost 2 months I decided to just swim. I hit my watch every 100m just so I could get an idea of where I was.

I then ran 2.37 miles in 35 minutes. Not exactly speeding away, but not bad considering the break I've taken.

So while I was swimming I decided I needed a goal for my olympic distance, just completing it will not be enough. I want to push myself. So I've decided that I want to complete the swim in 20 minutes. That's 2:30 per 100m. I know I can do that, in fact I know I can do better than that, so that seems like a reasonable goal.

The bike, hmmm. It's 40 km which is almost 25 miles, so a goal of 1:45 seems reasonable..

And the run. That is 10km or 6.2 miles. I'm thinking 1:00. That would give me a finish time of 3:05 and put me very close to the middle of the pack. So that's my goal. It will take work but now I've got focus....

2 comments:

Nancy Toby said...

3:05 for an Olympic is fast (top 1/3-1/2) for old ladies, unless it's an easy course! Oh, that's with 1500m swim.

*jeanne* said...

A 1:00 10K is a pretty challenging goal, I think. That's my stand alone 10k goal, generally, without having any other work-out preceeding it! And I OFTEN do not make my 1:00 goal - if it's HOT, hilly, rocky, slippery, crowded on the course, or if I'm tired, etc.
But GO FOR IT!
At least it's an easy number to track on your watch! And if you don't make it...well...secondary goals are good, too!
If I FINISH, I win. :-)

Another week down

 Well the first week back from spring break wasn't bad at all. I was looking forward to the weekend though, so I'm very glad it'...